Forums

Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Where are they now and what are they doing?

Chris Ciccone

Federal LE on the border currently (4 years). Prior to I worked ops at CKS.

Some old(er) names in this thread, some older than some to some.

October 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nordo

Great thread. Good to keep up with everyone. I only got to meet about half of the original names mentioned in the opening post. I was a young "ru-de-poo" as Doc woutld mention, (is there a real spelling for that?) when they were transitioning. I did not get to the Herk field until comming back to active duty in summer of 95. I spent most of my time in 252 95-98, 253 99 and back to 252 till 2002. Then back again off recruiting duty as 6216 09-11. Now retired.

Anyone know what happened to Gus Ventura?

--

October 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Rice

Erich Maas at July 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM

It's been many years since I stepped inside a Herkybird. I moved on to other platforms and life went on. I'm sure this holds true for many others that were a part of this community. My question is where are you now and what are you doing? I'll start it off; I retired after giving Uncle Sugar twenty and transitioned to the civilian sector where I currently test jet engines industrial applications. What are you all doing?

Eric...I served on Oki and DaNang in 1967-68 in the Avionics Shop. The head pog there was Master Guns Maas (can't remember his first name). He was aslo there in WWII. Said he shelled that island before landing. Never wanted to go into the ville to party. Said he still had bad feelings about Oki. Any relation?

--
November 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Robin

I was was in VMGR 152 at Futema and DaNang in May 67 thru June 68.  Ken Rice and I shared some liberty together with our cameras.  There was a SS bus tour every weekend that had a Philipine guide who had been an interpreter for our force in WW2.  He never returned to the Phillipines because Okinawa grew on him.  I also took advantage of the Special  Services skin diving trips with a bloke named Hawkins Hibbs who is still kicking the green side of the sod someplace.

November 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Stinar
Site Owner

Gents, welcome to the Battleherk project. Glad to see the stories being posted.

--

Alan Stinar
Creator, Marine Battleherks
Owner, Lion's Roar Media LLC

November 10, 2011 at 2:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Erich Maas

Ken Rice at November 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Erich Maas at July 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM

It's been many years since I stepped inside a Herkybird. I moved on to other platforms and life went on. I'm sure this holds true for many others that were a part of this community. My question is where are you now and what are you doing? I'll start it off; I retired after giving Uncle Sugar twenty and transitioned to the civilian sector where I currently test jet engines industrial applications. What are you all doing?

Eric...I served on Oki and DaNang in 1967-68 in the Avionics Shop. The head pog there was Master Guns Maas (can't remember his first name). He was aslo there in WWII. Said he shelled that island before landing. Never wanted to go into the ville to party. Said he still had bad feelings about Oki. Any relation?

I wish I could say yes, but sadly no, that Marine was no relation of mine. I am first generation in America.

November 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Hall

Erich Maas at August 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Perhaps some of you out there know some of these people or came in contact with them during your career. If so, do you know what happened to them or where they are now. It's kind of ironic I ask this because I can recall a conversation with many FE's around, and one of them mentioned that he wanted to retire somewhere where folks had no idea what a KC-130 was. So, without further ado, these names may jog some memories: Brent Peterson, Gary Ellmer, Rick Parker, Chuck Lee, Frank Dashnaw, Nick Blehm, Bernie Doran, Russ Samples, Mark Dudgeon, SSgt Anderson, GySgt "Nellie" Nelson, GySgt McDermott, "Slim" Ketcham, Bobby Ketcham, and J.P. O'Donnell. I flew with most, if not all of these guys from 1978 to 1982.

Erich, sorry to relay that Mark Dudgeon retired and went to work for the LAPD. Got up to take a leak one night and had a heart attack and died before he hit the floor in April 1994. Had a lot of flight time with him and he was one great friend. Also sorry to hear about Bobby Ketchum, he and I flew all over Somalia and tried like hell to drink Mombasa dry. All we got were great tans!
--
February 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Villa

Erich Maas at September 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Anyone out there work with Russ Samples? He and I were together at 352. He was an avionics tech back then. The timeframe is late 1980 through 1982. I worked nights at that time reconciling the VIDS boards. Russ worked nights also and we struck up a friendship. I guess he became an FE and I wonder if he did twenty and is happily retired.

Russ was one of my FE instructors at 253 and then we worked together at 352 right before he retired, He drives a truck now and can be found on Facebook.

March 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Randy Vest

I retired in 2007 as Airframes Division Chief in 352. Prior to that I was QA Chief in 152 for about 5 years. I retired and started a new life as a police officer in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Been just over 5 years now. Time seemed to fly by as a police officer but seems like forever that I was with my brothers and sisters in the Corps! I cannot believe that it has only been 5 1/2 years! (Seems like 10!!)

August 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Walderbach

Randy Vest at August 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I retired in 2007 as Airframes Division Chief in 352. Prior to that I was QA Chief in 152 for about 5 years. I retired and started a new life as a police officer in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Been just over 5 years now. Time seemed to fly by as a police officer but seems like forever that I was with my brothers and sisters in the Corps! I cannot believe that it has only been 5 1/2 years! (Seems like 10!!)

Randy, I grew up in CR born and raised there, are you originally from CR?

September 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dashnaw 2

Alan Stinar at August 4, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Erich Maas at August 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM

A couple more names come to mind; Ed Begley, "Doc" Savage, Danny Weir, and Cary Depew. I do know that Nick Blehm is working for Lockheed in Georgia still flying in the 'J' model. He is the only one I've kept in touch with over the years. Brent Peterson was from Yakima, Wa and for all I know went back there.

Funny story about Gunny Pete; I was on the schedule for the first flight of the day. I had set my alarm clock and made sure I hit the sack early. I was an FE student and wanted to make sure I did everything right. I think the pre-flight was at 0500. Well, the alarm clock doesn't go off. I must have set the darn thing for p.m. instead of a.m. I wake up at precisely 0500 and realize I'm in deep Kimshi. Like a fireman to a three alarm fire, I jump into my zoom bag and drive as fast as I can over to the hangar. I show up to Maintenance Control a half hour late and check for what bird I'm asigned to. I hurry out to the ramp to find GySgt Peterson has already got the ladder out and is in progress on the pre-flight. Needless to say, the man is pissed. I suppose it didn't matter what I said, he was in no mood to hear it. He told me he wasn't taking me up and I could think about the consequences of my actions (or lack there-of). He was a tough taskmaster but the point had been made.

The irony in all of this is that months down the road, I can't tell you how many times the FE was dragging his ass to make pre-flight. Sure we spent the night somewhere with plenty of night life, but that's irrelevant. But that one time with Gunny Pete stuck with me from then on and I was never late again.

Nick Blehm, Carey Depew and Doc Savage work for Lockheed in Marietta I think. I don't know where Frank Dashnaw is but his son, SSgt Dashnaw is a KC-130J Crew Chief for VMGR-252. I think "Slim" Ketchum works for Lockheed, and I believe Bobby Ketchum died last year if memory serves me right.

This is Johnathan Dashnaw. My father Frank has been working for US Airways at the training hub in Charlotte N.C. as an instructor. I myself am now going through FE refresher up in N.Y. and will finish out my last three years here.
May 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Lutz

Hey Johnathan...Ed Lutz here. I knew your dad,Frank pretty well...LOL

June 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.